Monday, September 26, 2011

3:2 Ubiquitous

Where did I find the vocabulary word?
I found this vocabulary word while reading Content-Area Writing; Every Teacher's Guide.  The word, ubiquitous, was used to refer to the state tests that students are required to pass. 

What does this word mean?
Dictionary.com states the the word, ubiquitous, means existing or being everywhere, especially at the same time.  When the author's used this word in their writing, they were referring to the state exams that are in every public school district, that are extremely high stakes, and are a bit politically driven, in my opinion.

What is my level of familiarity with this word?
I have seen this word many times, and always assumed it meant something I now know it doesn't. 

Is this a word I would like to know well and why?
This is a handy word to have in my vocabulary, but I wouldn't classify it as a must-need-to-know vocabulary word. 

Do I want others to know this word?  Who and why?
Again, this is a cool word to know and it will make you sound smart, but is it a must-know word?  Not in my opinion.

5 comments:

  1. Such an awesome word. I honestly never knew what this word meant. I have heard but I guess I never completely understood it. Thank you for defining it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I agree with Heather this is an "awesome word." It just sounds fun to say. At the same time, I agree with your thinking Sophia that even though this word is interesting (and therefore memorable) it might not necessarily be essential to learn this word.

    In regards to presentation/formatting.... be sure you cite the work accurately according to APA formatting. You need to use italics and include page numbers when called for. For an example, see my entries for 5.1 and 5.2.

    Also, when you reference online dictionary sites like DICTIONARY.COM to provide the definition of the term, it would be great if you also included a link TO THE ACTUAL ENTRY. For an example, see my entry 4.1 Satiate.

    I will be interested to see what word you elect for our first vocabulary test! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way.... I must leave one more comment regarding your formatting. I just LOVE the font and color combination you chose. It reminds me of your "cupcake business" color scheme. Quite charming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Jones, thanks for the feedback. I will work on the APA.

    ReplyDelete