Monday, October 3, 2011

4:1 Morphology

4:1  Morphology

Where did I find the vocabulary word?
I found the word, morpholgy, in the Word Wise and Content Rich text.  It is in chapter three, Making It Transparent; Teacher Modeling of Academic Vocabulary Learning.

What does this word mean?
The word, morphology, as used in this particular context is described as the smallest meaningful unit of language.  There are five key aspects to morphology; the prefix, suffix, root, cognate, and the word family.

What is my level of familiarity with this word?
I have heard this word in my graduate classes and I know Ive read about it before in my literacy texts, but I was unsure of its definition.

Is this a word I would like to know well and why?
Morphology is a word I should know well.  Understanding the roles that suffixes, prefixes, roots, cognates, and word families play in determining word meanings is incredibly important.  Imparting this concept of looking inside words, to extract their parts is an important skill students should know well. 

Do I want others to know this word?  Who and Why?
All teachers should be familiar with this word, with the exception of English and Literacy teachers.  These educators should know this word really well.  It is a concept/skill that is important for their students .

Teachers that word with ESOL students will find this word useful because it relates to a concept that is helpful in teaching students how to bnavigate the English language more easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment