Monday, October 10, 2011

6:1 Impetus

6:1  Impetus

Where did I find the vocabulary word?
I found this word in the Ciardiello article, Did you ask a good question today?  Alternative cognitive and metacognitive strategies.  This article begins with an eye-opening (for me) anecdote about Isidore I. Rabi, a Nobel laureate in physics, and his mother.  Instead of asking him what he had learned in school that day, she asked him what questions he had asked that day.  She attributes his success to this simple, yet powerful idea that questioning deepens understanding and learning.

I found this word in the section explaining cognitive strategy research.  The author is stating that the questioning strategy training has received greater impetus from inquiry based and case-based learning models (Ciardello, 1998).

What does this word mean?
According to http://www.freedictionary.com/, the word impetus means "an impelling movement or force; an incentive or impulse; a stimulus."

What is my level of familiarity with this word?
I have read the word before in different places, but I've never looked it up to see what the definition is.

Is this a word I would like to know well and why?
This word is definitely not on my "must-know" word list, but I am now glad I finally know what it means. I don't like the way this word sounds, and I feel like it is not a word I would use, but now when I come across it in things that I read, I will know what the author is saying.

Do I want others to know this word?  Who and Why?
I don't really think this is a word that everyone should concern themselves with.  Authors, educators, politicians, and some other professions may find this word useful because it is good vocabulary, but it's not necessary to know the meaning of this word unless one absolutely wants to.

Reference
Ciardiello, A. (1998).  Did you ask a good question today? Alternative cognitive and metacognitive
     strategies, 42, 210.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Sophia that the term is not necessarily many need to know well. However, it is an interesting concept -- especially in the context you shared. "Impetus for learning" is a great alternative to "purpose for learning" don't you think?

    ReplyDelete