Where did I find this word?
I first heard this word as a child while watching football games with my father.
What is the definition of the word?
The official definition, as I read on nfl.com (http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference), states that pass interference can be any of the following:
a. Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball,
b. Grabbing a receivers arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch the pass,
c. Extending an arm across the body of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball
What is my level of familiarity with this word?
I hear this word many, many, many times every Sunday, Monday night and some Thursday nights during the NFL season.
I think it is one of the more stupid rules in the NFL rulebook (there are many). I mean, isn't the whole point of the game to keep the opposing player from catching the pass??????
If the opposing player catches the pass, there's the possibility of that player scoring points. If the opposing player does not catch the pass, then the possibility of scoring points is zero.
The penalty for pass interference is ten yards, free yards, for the team that the penalty occurred against and an automatic first down. Automatic first down????? For those who are not familiar, an automatic first down gives the team that did not commit the penalty, THREE (yes, THREE) chances to move the chains. Moving the chains means the possibility of scoring points.
I've seen this penalty cost teams plays, games, even championships.
Do I want to know this word well? Why?
Do I want others to know this word well? Why?
I feel that those who like the sport of football should know this word well. The people actually playing the sport (the players, the coaches, the referees) should know this word extremely well because the consequences of committing this offense can be quite costly.
The NFL changes the rulebook every season. This is a call that should be scrapped.
References
National Football League, (2011). NFL Official Rulebook. Retrieved from
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference.
No comments:
Post a Comment