Sunday, November 13, 2011

7:4 Student Question Generation (Cognitive Strategy)

Where did I find this word?

I found this word in the Ciardiello article, Did you ask a good question today?  Alternative cognitive and metacognitive strategies.  This article was written to encourage student questioning instruction as a basis for higher level thinking about subject matter (Ciardiello, 1998, p. 210).

The author introduces the topic by identifying such limitations as teacher domination, student passivity, peer pressures, and instructional barriers as the leading deterrents to questioning instruction.  He asserts that student questioning is actually counter to what is happening in classrooms today (Ciardiello, 1998, p. 210).  After thinking about this for some time, I agree, student questioning is not happening in classrooms today.

What is the definition of this word?

The author of this article presents a cognitive and metacognitive strategy for student questioning use.  Ciardiello defines a cognitive strategy as a guided learning procedure for internalizing new information and performing higher level thinking operations.

Question generation teaches learners how to look for answers to questions that are important to them.  Student questioning generation training is a higher level cognitive skill.

What is my level of familiarity with this word?

I had no previous experience with this strategy.

Do I want to know this word well?  Why?

I would like to know this strategy well.  I like the explicit nature of this strategy.  I learn best explicitly at first, so when I read about this strategy, I decided that I would incorporate it into my own study habits.  So far it has worked well for me. 

I asked myself why I don't ask more questions in class.  I came up with some sort of an answer.  I think it's because when I learn something new, it takes me a lot of time to digest it, so I never know I have questions until I have some time to sit and absorb the material.  Especially if it's completely new and I don't have much, if any at all, background knowledge.

I also feel because I am a teacher, I should know this strategy well.  Teaching students to generate thought-provoking, deeper, clarifying questions should be a strategy teachers know well and can instruct on well in all content areas.

Do I think others should know this word well? Why?

Unless you're a student or are in the business of educating youngsters, this strategy is probably not going to be useful in your life.

References

Ciardiello, A.V. (1998).  Did you ask a good question today?  Alternative   
     cognitive and metacognitive strategies.  Journal of Adolescent and Adult
     Literacy, 42 (3), 210-219.

No comments:

Post a Comment