Where did I find this word?
I found this word while reading the Clark and Graves piece entitled, Scaffolding students' comprehension of text. The authors in this reading describe the importance of scaffolding students' comprehension of text. They introduce effective techniques and examples of scaffolding.
Direct Explanation of Comprehension Strategies is introduced by the authors as an instructional procedure for teaching comprehension strategies.
What is the definition of this word?
Direct Explanation of Comprehension Strategies teaches individual strategies in an explicit and very straightforward way (Clark & Graves, 2005, p.576).
There are five components to this procedure:
1. An explicit description of the strategy and when and how to use it.
2. Teacher and/or student modeling of the prediction strategy in action.
3. Collaborative use of the strategy in action.
4. Guided practice using the strategy with gradual release of responsibility.
5. Independent use of the strategy.
What is my level of familiarity with this word?
I hadn't seen this instructional procedure prior to reading this article. I did know the difference between explicit and implicit instruction and before I read the article, I predicted that this procedure was similar to explicit teaching/learning strategies.
Is this a word I want to know well? Why?
Because as a learner, this procedure compliments my learning style. I think that teachers tend to teach like they learn. In other words, visual learners tend to use more visual/media oriented lessons, where as oral learners use a more lecture-like teaching style.
I need to be explicitly explained, preferably in writing, the requirements of an assignment in order to feel confident about doing a good job.
I think I should know this procedure well because it is a clear and concise formula that scaffolds' student's comprehension of text.
Do I want others to know this word well? Why?
Those involved in serving students should understand this procedure. It is important that we give our students as many comprehension tools as possible to help them understand what they are reading.
References
Clark, K.F. & Graves, M. F. (2005). Scaffolding students comprehension of
text. The Reading Teacher, 6 (58), 570-580.
No comments:
Post a Comment